Slow booting and loading FIXED. ! Read for detailed report !

All about TVIX 6500/7000 : Firmware, How to, ...

Slow booting and loading FIXED. ! Read for detailed report !

Postby norjalainen » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:11 am

I just bought a new harddrive for my TViX 7000; a Lacie 2TB.
Now it takes extremely long time to boot and load the disk. First I had the disk as the internal disk in the TViX, but it took like 15 minutes to boot and load. Now the TViX is "empty", and the new disk is connected to the TViX through USB. Then it takes 1 min for the Tvix to boot up, but it still takes 10 minutes to load the new disk.
Any idea what might be the problem? I formated the disk first as an external disk to the computer, using win 7. Should I maybe choose some certain size on allocation during formatting?
norjalainen

Share On:

Re: Slow booting and loading

Postby coolstream » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:06 pm

Wow that is a long time to take. Inside mine is a 1TB, and although the 6500/7000 is reknowned for long boot-up, I am sure it takes nowhere near as long (or even half your time).

You say that your HDD is empty. Do you have it connected to TViX on bootup? Have you compared bootup times between connected to TViX at bootup and not connected? I would expect that disconnected from TViX at boot up would speed up the process significantly.

You say that you formatted the drive using Win 7. What parameters did you use? If the drive is still empty, I would make this recommendation...

Connect the drive directly to your PC. If Windows detects any error on the drive, say 'Yes' to any suggestions it makes. If any critical errors are found, take note of the error messages and contact LaCie for support.

If the procedure goes ahead without incident, and Windows starts successfully, backup any data on the drive and when done, go to 'Disk Management'. Point to the 2TB drive and remove all of the partitions until you are left with a totally empty and unformatted drive.

NOTE THIS WILL REMOVE ALL DATA FROM THE DRIVE. ANY PART OF THE LACIE MANAGEMENT WILL BE REMOVED BUT YOUR EXTERNAL DRIVE WILL STILL WORK AS AN EXTERNAL DRIVE.

Once you have a totally unformatted drive, it will be useless until reformatted. Instead of using the PC to reformat, connect the drive to TViX. Reboot and let TViX discover the unformatted drive. TViX will then ask if you wish to format it. Say 'Yes' and let TViX do the procedure. One done, you will have a drive that is set for use with TViX.

You can now switch off TViX and reconnect the drive directly to PC and transfer files to it if you wish. (This will be quicker than ftp or similar and also faster than USB transfer). Once you have a few files on the drive, reconnect to TViX and compare the bootup time to previous times.

There is no guarantee that the procedure will be any faster. I have made this suggestion to others in the past but nobody has come back to say thanks or given negative feedback either. I do wonder if there could be part of the initial LaCie format that has added some sort of managment system to the drive which could be responsible for the slow start up of TViX.

Finally, my suggestion for external drives on TViX is always to boot with the drive disconnected and only re-attach it after bootup has completed.

Let me know how you get on, and remember I am here to help answer any questions you have about this.
Welcome back to TViXiE!
coolstream

Postby norjalainen » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks for replay.
The hard drive is not empty; there is app. 1TB that I need to back up before I start your recommended procedure. The slow boot/loading was the reason I took it out of the TViX and used it as an external disk instead. The TViX then boot as normal (app. 1 min), but the loading of this particular external disk still takes very long time. I will return with feedback when I have followed your procedure.
norjalainen

Postby coolstream » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:59 am

I look forward to your reply. The fact that the drive is already 50% full of non-media data makes me suspect that you have already pinpointed the reason for slow startup. TVix will be looking for |Video\, \Music\, and \Photo\ folders in the root of the drive.

If you need to have non-media on the same HDD you would be better to make a second partition for it and have your media on partition 1.
Welcome back to TViXiE!
coolstream

Postby norjalainen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:57 am

The hard drive WAS empty, and now I have 1 TB with MEDIA (only) on it. The root folders have names as VIDEO, TV SERIES, DVD, etc. I will now buy a new hard drive, and try your procedure. Does the specification on the hard drive have any effect on the TViX; I mean like capacity, speed, cache (the LaCie drive: 2TB, 7200rpm, 32MB cache, USB2) etc?
norjalainen

Postby coolstream » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:07 am

In order for the GUI to work properly, all video data should reside in the folder \Video\ in the root. Under \Video\ you can have subcategories such as TVSERIES, DVD etc., which can be further subdived into movie names etc.

The highest capacity quoted by DViCo is the highest capacity known to exist. This, of course, doesn't mean that 2TB+ will not work - it is highest capacity tht has been tested. There is no reason to supose that in the future, karger capacity drives will not work. As far as a 'known to work' list is concerned, I have not seen one. You could ask DViCo through a My Q&A session, and if they can give more information, it would be handy to be able to share it with other users ;)
Welcome back to TViXiE!
coolstream

Postby norjalainen » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Fantastic, it worked! :D
I cleaned the disk and let TViX format the disk, and now it works perfect. Booting is about 40 seconds, and within 1min 30 sec the TViX is ready to play the video files on the disk. :)

At the bottom of this post is an easy procedure how to clean the disk and format it with the TViX.

I also bought another LaCie 2TB external hard drive and did some testing:

1. First I executed the start-file incluced on the disk, and let the LaCie program format the disk. I created Video, Audio and Photo folders on the disk (in addition the the default LaCie folders) and copied some movies into the Video folder. The external LaCie disk was connected to the TViX (already up and running) by USB. The TViX used 40 seconds to load the disk, and movies on the disk were ready to be played after total 1 min and 8 seconds.

2. I installed the Lacie as an internal disk in the TViX. It used the same time for booting and loading as the previous disk; 43 seconds to boot, and files were ready to be played after 1 min and 30 sec.

3. While disk was still inside the TViX, I cleaned it and formated it (NTFS, default size allocation)with Win 7 (connected to PC by USB). Again I created Video, Audio and Photo folders and added some movies in the Video folder. Same result as formated by the LaCie program: 42 seconds to boot, and files were ready to be played after 1 min and 30 sec.

4. While disk was still inside the TViX, I cleaned it and then powered off the TViX. When powering up the TViX (after remvoving the USB cable) I let TViX format the LaCie hard drive. It now automatically crated the three folders Video, Audio and Photo. I added some movies to the Video folder, and started up the TViX again. Same results as the previous tests: App. 40 seconds to boot, and files ready to be played after 1 min and 30 sec.

Conclusion: It seems that is doesn't matter how the disk is formatted. I think the problem (with the faulty disk) was that there were more than one partition and the space was not allocated correctly. I formated it directly in Win7 without first cleaning or runnig the start-file on the disk for preparation of the disk partitions. Anyway, to avoid this problem with a new disk (or if you have a problem with a disk) it's probably safest to clean the disk and let TViX format the disk, especially if you are to use the disk as internal disk in the TViX.

Procedure how to clean the disk and format with TViX

The procedure can also be found here

IMPORTANT NOTE: Following the procedure below will ERASE ALL DATA on the drive. Prior to following these directions, verify important data is stored securely on a different storage device.

Connect the disk to a PC (3 possibilities):
1. Install the disk in the TViX and connect by USB (recommended if you want to let TViX format the disk)
2. Connect to PC as an external disk
3. Install disk in PC

Begin by clicking Start, type cmd and press enter. In some cases you have to click Start and then Run. If "Run" is not available, press the [windows button] and [R] on the keyboard at the same time.

[img]http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/LaBrain/lb-vista_run_dialog_cmd[1]1.jpg[/img]

Click OK.
A DOS window will open. Use a command called "diskpart" to perform the beginning part of the format process.
Type diskpart then press enter. The system will change the prompt to say DISKPART>

[img]http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/LaBrain/lb-vista_diskpart_prompt[1]1.jpg[/img]

Next; type list disk and press enter. Doing so will display a list of all hard drives attached, the size of the drives, and the disk number assigned.

[img]http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/LaBrain/lb-vista_diskpart_list_disk[1]1.jpg[/img]

Identify the corrupted disk. This can be difficult if there are multiple, identical disks. If this is the case, unplug the drive, then type list disk again. Note which drive is missing, then reconnect it. Type list disk once again to get the new listing, and identify the proper drive.

[img]http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/LaBrain/lb-vista_diskpart_select_disk[1]1.jpg[/img]

The next step is to target the right disk with the program. Type select disk followed by the corrupted/desired disk's disk number. In the example, the following command is used: select disk 2

[img]http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/LaBrain/lb-vista_diskpart_clean[1]1.jpg[/img]

Finally, type the command clean and press enter.
This will erase the partition information, and allow a new format to be applied. The message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk." The DOS window can be closed.

The next step is to apply a new format to the disk, and perform a test to see if the drive is physically working properly. Use a program called Disk Management to do this.
To access the Disk Management program, press [windows button] + [R] again to open the Run window.
Type the command diskmgmt.msc

[img]http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/LaBrain/lb-vista_run_dialog_diskmgmt[1]1.jpg[/img]

Click OK.
The Disk Management program will open. If a window called the "Initialize and Convert Wizard" appears, click cancel.
The top frame lists partition summaries for connected drives. The bottom frame shows how the disks are physically related to these partitions. We are interested primarily in the bottom frame. Look for the disk number selected earlier in the DiskPart program. It should have a different icon (a red arrow, specifically.)

[img]http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/LaBrain/lb-vista_diskmgmt_unknown[1]1.jpg[/img]

Right-click that symbol, and choose to "Initialize Disk". A new window will appear asking for confirmation. Confirm this command.
When it has completed, it will now appear like so:

http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/LaBrain/lb-vista_diskmgmt_unallocated[1]1.jpg

Next, space must be allocated to hold files. Computers call these "Partitions." Right-click the area marked "Unallocated", and choose to make a "New Simple Volume".

For the following choices presented, the default is the most desirable option except for the "format option". If you want to let the TViX format the disk, you have to select "do not format this volume". Press "Cancel" if you later are asked if you want to format the disk. The disk is now set up as one drive.

Now, there are 2 options to format the disk:
1. Install disk as internal disk in TViX, and let TViX format the disk (recommended).
2. Format the disk by PC.

1. Format with TViX
a) Install hard drive as internal drive in TViX.
b) Power up TViX
c) TViX will loacte the new drive and ask if you want TViX to format it.
d) Anser YES, and let TViX format the drive
e) After some time (it might take more then 30 seconds as stated on the screen) the disk is formated, and 3 folders are created: Video, Audio and Photo. Let these three folders be on the root directory, and create subfolders and add media as you like.

2. Format with PC
If you have an external hard drive and have no plans of installing it into the TViX, formating can be done with PC. This is then an easier way, and you wont loose your warranty (due to opening of case).
a) Right-click on the disk and choose "Format..."
b)Select NTFS, Default allocation size and give the disk a name; e.g. "TViX". Let "fast format" be ticked off.
c) Make three folders on the formatted disk: Video, Audio and Photo. Let these three folders be the only folders on the root directory, and create subfolders and add media as you like.

Have fun with TViX :mrgreen:
norjalainen

Postby coolstream » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I am glad that the problem has been resolved. Although it IS possible to use a multipartitioned drive with TViX, the procedure is not a simple entry-level one.

Thanks also for the detailed run through which will be useful for others in the same situation.

I will edit the title of this thread to indicate that the problem has been fixed but will keep it open for others to ask any questions they might have.

Thanks again for having taken the time to write such a detailed and exhaustive report including your tests of bootup times after various methods of disk preparation.
Welcome back to TViXiE!
coolstream

Re: Slow booting and loading FIXED. ! Read for detailed repo

Postby norjalainen » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:12 pm

You're welcome. And thanks for the tip of how to fix it.
Could you enable images in the post? They're good description for the cleaning-procedure.
norjalainen

Next

Return to TViX 6500/7000